Traveling with Children

Persons under 18 years of age are considered children and need appropriate documentation to travel abroad.

The following document, called a 'Travel Statutory Declaration,' is commonly used when minors are traveling abroad.

The Travel Statutory Declaration is a notarized letter of consent from the child’s legal guardians confirming that the child has permission to travel abroad. It should be used when the child is taking a trip alone, with only one parent, and when the child is traveling with adults who are not the child’s legal guardian.

The Travel Statutory Declaration should be notarized prior to departure. The lawyers at Birdsell Grant LLP are happy to offer this service. Please contact reception to arrange an appointment.

We ask that you complete the Travel Statutory Declaration prior to meeting with the notary, and bring all supporting identification with you to the appointment. Please fill in all details prior to your appointment, but do not sign the form until you meet with the lawyer.

Other documents may also be required when a child is traveling abroad. You should check with the nearest embassy or consulate of each country you are planning to visit about entry requirements. The Government of Canada offers information about traveling with children at the following link:

Download a Travel Statutory Declaration form